Five Kids

Five Kids

Friday, December 28, 2012

Tossing Fear for a New Year

A new year is upon us and I, as a compulsive goal setter even on a normal day, get undeniably giddy at the prospect of a whole new year in need of resolutions. I am aware that cynics question the virtue of goal setting at the start of a new year, given that only 8% of people who make new year's resolutions actually accomplish them. As dismal as the statistics may be, I still believe that setting goals to welcome in the new year is a worthwhile endeavor. I submit that it is not the act of keeping your goal that makes you a better person, but the act of setting a goal in the first place.

When you make a resolution to be or do something better, it says a number of things about you. First and foremost, it shows that you are humble enough to recognize a need for change; that's always the first step in any worthwhile endeavor. The act of goal setting also signifies that you believe in yourself. As long as that hope is still alive, nobody can take success away from you.

According to a study conducted at the University of Scranton, "people who explicitly make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who don’t explicitly make resolutions." Even if you doubt the longevity of your commitment to your resolutions, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make them. 

So, here's to tossing out fear and setting goals despite what the statistics say. Here's to focusing on what you can do today, not tomorrow, next week or next month. Here's to a new year full of possibilities!

This year, I will not let the fear of failure keep me from doing something I feel compelled to do. I am so excited to go sit down with my sticky notes and get to work making myself and my family better.  Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I ve been dreading blogging about resolutions since Jan 1rst because I know I didn't meet all my goals from last year. This made me feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at your ability to post while you were staying here over Christmas vacation. Once again a wonderful message--guess I shouldn't shy away from making goals cause I'm afraid I'll fail. Sounds like its a good idea anyway!

    ReplyDelete