Five Kids

Five Kids

Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Baby's Laugh

I realized after composing my top ten lists yesterday, that I left out one very important thing that is quite possibly the best part of parenting: laughter.  Especially when it's coming out of your kids.  There is just no better sound on earth than a child's laughter.  

Several years ago, on one of Mellow's birthdays, he had several rowdy boys over for a party and they were sitting around the table eating cake and telling jokes.  These were little boys and the jokes were pretty lame, mostly revolving around bodily functions and food.  But they were hyper, and happy to be together and so every joke each one of them made was met with maniacal peals of laughter from everyone around the table.  Just watching them and listening to the cacophony brought a smile to my face and my husband and I couldn't resist joining in on the laugh fest.

Additionally, I remember with each one of my babies, the first time they laughed it was like music to my ears.  With Energy, the first time we heard him laughing was when my husband and I were playing tennis.  Energy was about three months old and we had him sitting in a stroller off to the side of the court, while we hit the ball back and forth.  Every time the ball hit one of our rackets, Energy let loose with the cutest, most amazing baby laugh I had ever heard.  For some reason, he thought the sound was absolutely hilarious and his giggles escalated until we were all rolling.


Laughter is infectious, and it has the power to chase the blues away.  Baby laughter especially, is like sunshine to the soul and for that reason, it deserves something special.  In honor of this amazing gift our babies give to us every time they let loose with a great laugh, and to atone for my oversight in leaving it off of my top ten lists completely, I wrote a special poem about it.   


Here is my tribute to the role laughter plays in my life:



A Baby's Laugh

The best sound on earth
Is a baby's light mirth
It warms up the heart and the soul.

And a smile so rare
Is the standard fare
Paid by witnesses, both young and old.


   

1 comment: