Five Kids

Five Kids

Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Chocolate Break-Up

This week our family sat down and set some goals regarding our health habits. I have known for quite a while that we could do better and the new year was a perfect time to start. Each of the kids made some resolutions and we decided, as a family, to eat our favorite fruits in place of dessert for a while, and do a better job of getting out and being active. I also agreed to go on the Take Shape for Life program with my husband and we started it on Monday of this week. The week has gone well and, though I am not missing the five pounds I have already shed (don't worry--they say it's all water weight the first week) I most certainly AM missing my chocolate.

Yes, a melancholy has settled over my every thought and action and I can only ascribe it to the fact that I have sworn off my usual escape for at least the next two months. In general, I don't consider myself the type to overindulge, though I must admit I most certainly did on the Christmas fudge this year. Normally, I am able to have a little treat every now and then and call it good. But now it's time for Chocolate and I to take a break from each other, at least for a while.

Now that my chocolate escape option has been removed, however, I am simply dying to have it back. So, to appease the part of me that is now crying out for it, I have chosen to escape through my words instead. I have composed a little Ode to express my love for the forbidden vice:


 

Ode To Chocolate

Oh Chocolate, how I love thee;
Please let me count the ways.
You cheer me up and make me smile
When I've had a rotten day.

When I'm worn out in the kitchen
Making dinner for my brood,
A couple bites is all I need 
To make me feel brand new.

To eat you in the morning
Requires some finesse.
Chocolate morsels on my pancakes
Is what I like the best.

Whether frozen in a frosty,
Or warmed for hot cocoa.
Or melted in a cookie
From the oven cooked just so.

I love you every way you come.
I just can't get enough.
I feel whole when you're with me;
You're my forbidden love.



After writing that I must admit that I do actually feel better, though a warm chocolate chip cookie sure does sound good right now. Chocolate, I bid you adieu... until we meet again.



5 comments:

  1. A chocolate break up?? I've tried this before and haven't ever lasted more than a week. Good luck to you! I'm on a partial carb/grains break up this week and I'll need my chocolate now more than ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I cannot live without chocolate. I'm gluten free right now for fertility and I'm eating double the chocolate to compensate for not getting my bread/cereal fix- not good. Good for you! Thanks for the potty training advice. It's such a nightmare. I've decided to just let it go. They are 2 1/2 so probably ready but evie really isn't interested so I'm not pushing it. Rosie does some every day but Im letting her take the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy--yes, it's very sad. But I'm going to stick with it for the husband and dream of the day when I can have it back.:)
    Allison--Sounds like a good plan. If they are not super interested I would wait until they are three. It's easier if they are really ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh--how we all love chocolate! Can't believe dad has given it up for good--so sad when it comes to my desire to bake once in a while. However, I served a Chocolate Satin pie to the missionaries for dessert the other night (still in the freezer from Christmas) and I'm enjoying the leftovers (they last longer since dad won't eat any!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. He has a will of steel! So amazing!

    ReplyDelete